Sunday, March 29, 2009

3.29.09 Visit

Today we had one of our first scares with Christian... Michelle and I were witness to his heart rate dropping very low. though we have heard of these instances happening with him (very few and far between), it was the first time we actually saw them manually pumping air into his lungs and suctioning fluid out of him. That being said, we had the most awesome nurse ever today. She explained that when they suction fluid that has pooled in his mouth, they essentially "take his breath away" (her words, I'm definitely NOT trying to be funny here) when they remove it, which is why he had an episode. the fluid also tends to loosen when he is being moved into another position, which is why he needed suction from his mouth in the first place. It was really scary, and we both got very anxious and panicky, but all is well. The nurses were very cool about it and knew exactly what to do.

Otherwise, Christian is doing great! They increased his feedings from 1.2 mL to 1.5 mL today, which means he is continuing to take the breast milk well. Our second freezer is officially full to the brim with our supply of breast milk, so if anyone has any ideas about how to sell the stuff on ebay or something, we're all ears. Michelle is pumping away in very large volumes...

Our baby boy's vitals are all great. He has a little bit of irritation on his left arm where the PIC line was inserted, but we think it is just from all of the moving around that he does. He is a very active little guy.

My focus right now is on Michelle and trying to get her comfortable. If we aren't in good health, we aren't going to be able to be there for our baby. She is trying to do too much and is stubborn and it's all the reasons I fell in love with her in the first place, but she needs to rest somehow. Our nurse gave us a good scolding today, so we'll see if that helps =) I empathize with her too much and I can't tell her no when she wants to see the baby..... truth is, I want to go just as much as she does. I'm not a strong authority figure in that regard.

On a side note, I had a heck of a time playing "balloon" with Corinne tonight. She is such a bright light in my life. Her laugh and her smiles and hugs and kisses....... It's incredible. It was fun giving her a bubble bath tonight- I haven't done that in a while. She was even my little laundry helper and worked with me to clean her room tonight.. she's so sweet. It's fun being a dad =)

6 comments:

  1. Wow what a scare! I hear breast milk i think in the freezer is good for up to a year. You may even be able to donate it? Ask the hospital and see if they know of anything.

    Stay healthy because if you aren't healthy they won't let you see Christian!! :)

    My husband and I are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encourage Michelle to get as much rest as she can! She's recovering from a major surgery. However, I know it's much easier said than done, especially when a woman wants to see her baby! I am so glad to read that Christian is continuing to do so well! Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I know it's hard to rest right now but Christian has the best care he can for now. You rest and get better so when he gets to go home you will be well enough to take care of him. I had two kiddos have to be in the hospital after they were born it is HARD. We are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spoke with Michelle a couple times when I also had a SCH back in December. She gave me lots of hope that my babies would be okay. She shared her information & restrictions with me that her doctors had given her and I listened to her like you wouldn't believe.
    You're both amazing parents, you write so well! Please know that your family is constantly in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a miracle! I'm keeping you guys in my thoughts. Christian is a strong baby! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the extra breast milk, I was just reading something the other day about milk banks where you can donate breast milk for other babies in need, so you might want to check into that if you have a lot left over. (I popped over here from BBC - keeping you guys and your little man in my prayers!)

    ReplyDelete